So, here is my entry for my first blogging "competition" - held by Laurie at QuirkyCupcake. I didn't put too much pressure on myself this go round :) The ingredient for this month's all-cupcake contest is lime. Great choice! For my entry, I figured that I couldn't go wrong with chocolate and citrus, right? I bring you my entry - Chocolate coconut cupcakes with lime cream cheese frosting.
Thanks Laurie for starting this up - the challenge helps to inspire!
Chocolate Cupcakes (original recipe from Ina Garten; edited by me!)
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 tablespoons brewed coffee
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup good cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup semi-sweet/bittersweet chocolate chips
Squeeze of lime juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. 3. Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, lime juice and coffee.
5. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
6. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until blended.
7. Fold the coconut and chocolate chips into the batter.
8. Divide the batter among the cupcake pans
9. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Lime Cream Cheese Frosting!
1/2 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, sifted (amount dependent on the amount of lime juice)
Lime juice (amount depending on how sweet/tart you like it!) and ~ 1 tsp of lime zest
Coconut and mini-chocolate chips for topping
1. Mix cream cheese and butter together.
2. Add vanilla.
3. Add lime juice (start with juice from 1/2 lime), zest and sugar (start with 1 cup)
4. Add more lime juice and sugar depending on taste and consistency - you want it to be thick and hold its shape (add more sugar if not thick enough).
5. Top with coconut and chocolate chips!
1. I like my frosting really tangy, so I added a significant amount of juice - it was delicious but definitely go in stages because you can't take it out!
2. I loved the frosting and liked the cupcakes - they were great right out of the oven, but after a few days, the insides were a bit dry and crumby. I think it may be a result of my using 2 large eggs instead of 2 extra-large eggs. Next time, I will try to make the cupcakes a bit more moist.
3. Did I mention that the frosting tasted amazing :)?