Monday, April 21, 2008

Quick & Healthy Snack

I'm running all around today and don't have too much time for in-depth post, but I wanted to make sure to get this awesome snack up here. A pseudo-rice krispie bar, but a bit more grown-up - I like to make these when I really want a quick dessert or snack, but don't want all the calories that come with a cookie or brownie.

They are called Peanut Butter-Crispy Rice Bars and are from Cooking Light. Since I have not changed the recipe all that much, I'll just go ahead and post the link to the recipe here. In fact, the only change I make is in the ingredient list - no rice krispies here! Not that there is anything wrong with them really (besides the fact that they get soggy so fast!), but I prefer to swap out the 6 cups of name-brand cereal for a mixture of generic puffed rice and puffed wheat cereals (3 cups each).

Give these a try sometime and let me know how you change them up - I'm always looking for a new spin on things I make all the time. And, if you love rice krispies, please go ahead and use them. I'm not the biggest fan, but I'm sure they work great too.

By the way, I also made the best banana bread this weekend for my mom. Are these mini-loaves not the cutest things?! Maybe I'm the last one to know this, but I hardly ever make banana bread because I never have bananas that are ripe enough to use when I want to make the bread. Well, a few weeks ago, I had bananas that were seriously on their way out - so I put them in the freezer. I defrosted them before making the bread and they worked great! Who knew? They seem a bit gross when you defrost them, because they are bit slimier then usual, but the flavor and texture were just fine.


Well, I hate to blog and run, but everyone has those kind of days, right?

6 comments:

Jessica said...

ooohh... the rice krispy bars look really good. I'll have to try them out.

got any more diet-friendly sweet treats?

we tried a recipe from the south beach diet dessert cookbook last night and it was a total disaster!

Erin said...

Those snack bars look like a great snack to bring to work. Otherwise I totally end up eating candy!

In college I lived with 3 guys one semester, and they make fun of me for all the stuff I froze... including bananas :)

grace said...

sounds like you were channeling elvis this weekend; apparently he was partial to bananas and peanut butter.

i happen to be partial to bananas, and those mini loaves are indeed adorable and look delicious. i suspect that the glaze has a little something to do with it...

Anonymous said...

Wow, that banana bread looks HEAVENLY!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These look amazing and if they're from Cooking Light I can indulge a bit more. :)

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Those looks so yummy! I bet they are a thousand times better than the packaged stuff!