Saturday, February 23, 2008

Simple & Light Ranch Dip

Good Morning! I have a bunch of great posts for this weekend :) The first is a great, easy ranch dip/dressing that I made last week. I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for a good dip - I have found it difficult to get really good flavor with a homemade dip, constantly forcing me to rely on hummus. Not that hummus is a bad thing (we love it!), but life needs some variety, right? Plus, my husband loves any kind of dip - ranch, hummus, dill, cheese, oil, whatever.

This dip/dressing is out of the latest issue of Everday food - a great magazine for easy recipes and fast weeknight meal ideas. If you can believe it, this dip actually tastes like ranch dressing! Not from a jar, doesn't have a ton of preservatives and other chemical crap, and its light! Try it out sometime; we served the dip with kirby cucumber, celery hearts, and toasted pita chips. I think grape tomatoes or radishes would be a great addition to the platter too. It is also perfect as salad dressing or sandwich condiment.

Light Ranch Dip/Dressing (Everyday Food Magazine)

Ingredients
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup light mayo
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 scallions, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
kosher salt/freshly ground pepper

Steps
Whisk together all ingredients. Season to taste. Store in the refrigerator.

Notes
When you add the scallions - go slowly. I prefer a little lighter onion taste, so I didn't use the entire recommended amount. I also used a bit more dill. I usually edit the ingredient amounts in my posts to show exactly what I did, but for this, I didn't because I think its definitely a personal taste sort of thing :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds delicious!!! I love ranch dip. Your photos are good too. You've been tagged. :)