Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The last of it...

Thanksgiving leftovers! I used the rest of the turkey up last night to make an awesome (and super easy) turkey and wild rice soup. Although I'm kind of over Thanksgiving food, this soup would be great with chicken too, so I decided to post it. Plus, its cheap :). And delicious. And did I mention easy? Who doesn't need something simple after the cooking madness that is Thanksgiving!

Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
Ingredients:
Leftover turkey or chicken, diced (as much as you like - I used about 1 cup or so)
Chicken/turkey/vegetable broth (homemade or store-bought), approximately 64oz.
1 onion, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Few stalks celery w/ leaves, diced
Few carrots, cut into coins
1 cup wild rice
Extra virgin olive oil
Smallest bit of butter :)
Kosher salt/freshly ground pepper

Steps:
1. Add a bit of olive oil to a stockpot or large saucepan and heat pan on medium. Add garlic and onion and saute until soft, but not brown. Add celery, carrots, salt & pepper. Continue to saute for about 5 or so minutes.

2. Add rice and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until rice is tender, about 1/2 hour (but it depends on your type of rice). Then add turkey and little bit of butter (just a tiny, tiny amount :) and allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes.

3. Serve and Enjoy! Makes a great lunch too.

----------------------------------------
To finish off the holiday for this year, here are a few pictures from our Thanksgiving:

I was in charge of the desserts, but my mom always makes the pumpkin pie...

This is my cous-niece, remember her from St. Patrick's Day? She loves dessert :).
Recipe for these super easy & adaptable mini-cheesecakes coming soon...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! So much amazingness in one post! First, that soup looks DIVINE!!! I want some now. okay? lol.

Also, you are the dessert making QUEEN! Jeeze! I love it ALL!! Your Thanksgiving looks just wonderful as well, but I'm sure you really showed everyone with those awesome desserts! I can't wait for that cheesecake recipe!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Turkey soup of some kind is how I end my turkey leftovers and yours looks wonderful! The simplicity of turkey and rice is always a favorite at our house. Your thanksgiving looks wonderful and a fabulous spread too!

Unknown said...

that soup looks fantastic! and those leaf cookies, too cute :) love mini cheesecakes...