Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Meyer lemons?

My husband and I got to leave the unbelievably cold weather that was the East Coast last week and hit up San Diego for a few days. Since it was a business trip, we really did not have a lot of time to check out too many things, but one of the things that I love about California is....farmer's markets! There seems to be at least one in some part of town every day! Crazy. Farmer's markets, street fairs and local festivals are a total hobby of mine - I love to check out the local food and take home goodies. During the summer, I always drag Tim to all the different street fairs and festivals in NYC - so much fun.

I knew what I wanted to bring back from Cali - Meyer lemons. I was determined to find a market and obtain a few of the coveted fruit that is impossible (or ridiculously priced) in our area. But, see, here is the problem - I was too excited and went with no plan, so...I only bought 3. Not that I'm home, I have no idea what to make with them! I just made lime bars, I love to make this lemon cake but that requires more than 3 lemons....I could make a great salad dressing but that just seems so unexciting.

Anyone care to chime in with ideas? These babies traveled 2500 miles with me and I totally hyped them up to my husband (I mean, who carries lemons home on a plane?, I had to tell him something about their amazing powers :). Hopefully I'll come up with something...stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I recently found Meyer lemons in the grocery store and got all excited. I ended up making a pasta with meyer lemon juice/zest, arugula and creme fraiche. The recipe is from Amanda Hesser's Cooking for Mr. Latte. It was really good. I definitely want to make it again, but I'm worried that it will be too harsh with regular lemons. The recipe is in my blog if you're interested.

Alissa C said...

My mom used to make a great chicken dish with lemons that I have since adapted (it was originally made with fennel, which I'm not crazy about). You use whole chicken breasts on the bone, salt and pepper under the skin, and then thinly slice lemons and place a couple of slices under the skin also. I add additional spices, whatever I feel like at the time. I also usually toss a few green olives or a green olive tapenade under the skin also, for a little tanginess. Then, slice the additional lemons and some more olives and chopped potatoes and place it all around the breasts in your pan. Cook at 350-375 for about an hour to an hour and a half, until all is lightly browned, basting frequently. It's lovely when it's done because you can cut and eat the lemons, rinds and all, and you really enjoy those fresh lemons.

Babeth said...

Hi there. Just discover your blog. I love your pix. With lemon you could make a lemon meringue pie ;-)
http://lavieinenglish.blogspot.com/2008/01/daring-bakers-lemon-meringue-pie.html

Nina Timm said...

I love the way you play with light in your photography - well done. I have such a lot of natural light in my kitchen, but do not always use it. Thanks for the inspiration