Friday, December 14, 2007

Snow = Soup!

This was the view outside my kitchen window yesterday! We got our first snowstorm of the season, about 8-10 inches total. The roads were a mess and I was happy to stay home - wrapping gifts, cooking & baking, catching up on my Google reader.... The day was also perfect for a good, warm, comforting meal. For the past week, I've had my eye a recipe from the December issue of Everyday Food for a quick lentil soup. Yesterday turned out to be the perfect day to try it since I had a day of baking lined up in my kitchen (hoping to get to those recipes in the next few days!).


The recipe for this soup can be found here - I only made very minor changes to it since it is very simple to begin with - all my changes are in the ingredient list. The recipe itself is very forgiving - you can add whatever vegetables you like to it without a problem. I decided to add a few red potatoes (because my husband loves soups & stews with potatoes in them) but peas would also be a great addition.

Here is the recipe list - my changes are in bold.

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 small onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 handfuls baby carrots, cut into coins
3 baby red potatoes, cubed
1 bag (1 pound) brown lentils, picked over
Approximately 32 ounces vegetable broth
1 dried bay leaf
Italian bread, handful of torn pieces (toasted up with garlic powder and a bit of Parmesan cheese)

The soup was very good and satisfying - made for a perfect lunch, especially with the croutons on top!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE lentil anything and soup is so perfect for this weather. I've never seen it with potatoes, though. i like that touch!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Soup is the perfect thing for a cold snowy evening... Not that we will be having any snowy days here.
The soup still sounds good!

Sharona May said...

Your Soup looks delicious! I just made an entry on my blog about no Winter here in Georgia but I still have the desire to make soup. Of course, in your case the cold weather really promotes the soup making!

http://birdfood-sharona.blogspot.com/