Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Summer Salad Recipe

A few weeks ago, I made this awesome recipe from the Every Day Food magazine - Watermelon and Feta Salad. If you don't like arugula (how could anyone not!!), you could substitute spring mix or baby greens, but in my opinion, it really would not be the same. The fruit really takes the sharpness out of the arugula and makes for an awesome combination. I'm going to make the salad again in a few days - I'll take a photo so you can see the real life version.

photo courtesy of http://www.everydayfoodmag.com/

Here is the recipe (with a few edits on my part):

Ingredients
2 tablespoons balsamic white-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 package (box) baby arugula

1 1/2-pound piece chilled seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into small thin slices
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

Optional: thinly sliced raw red onion (I didn't use)

Directions
1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine arugula and onion; toss with dressing to taste. Gently toss with watermelon and feta, and serve.

*I cut my feta and watermelon up a few hours before and left them in the refrigerator - then I made the dressings in the bottom of a large bowl and put the arugula on top (don't mix!). Then before servings, all I had to do was toss the salad ingredients together.

No comments: